A considerable amount of interesting detail was uncovered during the research to compile the Books of Honour. In this section, which complements the main Index, an outline of this material is given along with the links to enable you to navigate to the detail. By clicking on the appropriate button you can see a slide show where appropriate, preview the detail in Windows XP or print copies off as required.

New National Memorials in London.

There has been significant national activity of late and three important new memorials have been erected.

The Women of World War Two were honoured when, on 9 July 2005, Her Majesty the Queen unveiled a remarkable monument, close to the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London, in recognition of the crucial contribution made by more than seven million women to Victory in Europe and Victory over Japan 60 years ago. The Patron was Baronness Betty Boothroyd and the cost well over £1.5M. The stark 22ft high bronze monument by John Mills depicts seventeen sets of women's clothing hung on pegs, just as if they had been left there by women as they returned home when the job was done. Women were mobilised to work on the land or in essential war production, half a million served in the Forces whilst a similar number carried out vital civil defence work and were intimately involved in emergency services. Victory would have been impossible without such selfless service.

A memorial to the part played by animals, was unveiled by the Princess Royal on 24 November 2004. The memorial, which cost £1.5 M, is situated at Brook Gate, Park Lane, on the edge of London's Hyde Park and was designed by leading English sculptor, David Backhouse. As its name suggests, it depicts the many animals that have been used by troops in wartime: horses, mules, dogs, elephants, camels, pigeons and canaries. None are forgotten, not even the lowly glow worm, for these tiny creatures were used by soldiers in the trenches during the First World War, to help them read their maps in the gloom. The design is in Portland stone with different animals depicted in bas relief on a broken wall through which struggle two bronze mules, heavily laden; beyond, a bronze horse and dog look to the future.

A memorial on the Thames Embankment in London to the heroism of those involved in the Battle of Britain was unveiled by Prince Charles on 18 September 2005. The memorial is of detailed narrative form and features three-dimensional scenes of Battle of Britain pilots being scrambled to intercept enemy aircraft, the aftermath of German Bombing raids and activities in munition factories. It is cast in bronze, was designed by Paul Day, cost over £2.5M and altogether weighs more than 30 tons. Mr Day said "I've tried to put across, in a simple snapshot, something of what the people then were going through; the determination, the courage, the fear, the pounding hearts and the bursting blood vessels."

The National Memorial Arboretum

The Secretary of State for Defence announced, on 18 March 2002, that an Armed Forces Memorial to service personnel killed since World War Two, was to be sited at the National Arboretum near Lichfield in Staffordshire. It is intended that the names of those commemorated will be engraved on the memorial and Rolls of Honour be kept by The Royal Navy in the Church of St Martin's-in-the-Fields, by The Army in The Royal Hospital Chelsea and by The Royal Air Force in The Church of St Clement Danes. The design of the memorial is shown and construction work began in 2005. The Armed Service Memorial will commemorate members of the UK Armed Forces (Regular and Reserve) killed on duty or by terrorist action since the Second World War. A memorial to those killed in conflict will also be placed in the South Cloister of Westminster Abbey. Members of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and the Merchant Navy who have died while in support of the Armed Forces will be included. It is a sobering thought that there are some 47 medal earning theatres where United Kingdom Armed Forces have served in the last 60 years in conflict zones and on humanitarian, peacekeeping and monitoring operations.

Trustees of the Armed Forces Memorial trust have been appointed to take this project forward and. they will take on the ownership of the memorial and will be responsible for its funding and construction. Funds will be raised by public subscription. This is a very important national project that will also provide a platform to help educate our younger generations about the value of our armed forces.

Many other memorials have been erected in The National Memorial Arboretum, one in particular being a memorial to those shot at dawn, This stark uncompromising "sculpture" needs no words; May they rest in peace.

Regiments and organizations and private individuals are planting trees in the Arboretum. Plaques can be added as desired and some of those relevant are shown below.

A visit to The National Arboretum is a must for anyone with even a passing interest in the topic of remembrance - or even if they are simply passing for it is a much better way of breaking a journey to turn off the motorways and spend some time in quiet wonder at what is happening at the Arboretum. One example is that of the memorial for The Royal National Lifeboat Institution. A "willow" slipway is growing which leads over the sand to the oncoming tide of spreading ground cover plants.

THE COWPER BOOKLET  - Lancaster Priory. This beautiful and ancient church stands proudly on the hill next to Lancaster Castle. It is the home for numerous war memorials, chief of which is The Regimental Chapel of The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) - Lancaster's very own Regiment. Amalgamated later with the Border Regiment to form The King's Own Royal Border Regiment, cuts sadly continue and the Regiment is shortly to be amalgamated with other regiments in The North West. It is very right and fitting that this glorious Regimental Chapel stands to honour the many men who have fought and died with this great regiment, the 4th of Foot. The full history of the Regimental Chapel. was recorded by Cowper in 1946 in a forty one page booklet which is now out of print. The Regimental Chapel Committee have kindly agreed that a facsimile be included in this Data Disc. The Chapel contains many memorials, both to those who died in conflict and to those who have served with the Regiment, the latest one being put in place in 2005. In addition it houses one of the largest collections of laid up Regimental Colours in the Country. Twenty five of these are recorded by The National Inventory of War Memorials. Outside of the Regimental Chapel in the main part of the church, are 5 other war memorials and the Flag of HMS Lancaster flown during the Great War.

CARNFORTH STREET COLLECTION. It was local government agencies, city, town and Parish Councils committees who decided upon the nature of the memorial using the more traditional monumental architecture of the day. Local architects and craftsmen, eminent in their craft, were called upon to design, manufacture and put the memorials in place. Locally notable names are those of the architects Austin and Paley, Thomas Mawson and Pearsons who together with stone masons and the stained glass manufacturers, Shrigley and Hunt et al produced many of the memorials we see around us today.

Committees were set up and money collected in greater and greater amounts. The Carnforth Town collection was recorded in a booklet, a facsimile of which is shown. It shows the street by street nature of the collections where no amount was too small.


London North Western Railway Roll of Honour (NIWM No: None ). Privately owned.

Although not strictly a war memorial this rather wonderful Book, produced by the Company is a natural follow on from the memorials of Carnforth, for if ever there was a "Railway Town " Carnforth was. It belongs to a local man who, "when he was a lad" played around the memorial and proudly showed his mates "That's my name".

He now knows it was his great uncle who was killed in the Great War to whom the Book was presented;

The Book contained a certificate to each man who was killed showing his name, Grade, Station and military rank all in copper plate handwriting. The certificate contained these words;

The London and North Western Company's Roll of Honour: Gratefully dedicated to the memory of London and North Western Railwaymen who lost their lives while serving their country in the Great War 1914-1919, amongst whom was the above. (The name , military rank and Railway "Rank" follow). In asking acceptance of this album the shareholders of the company wish to place on record their deep and sincere sympathy with the relatives and friends of those men to whom this album is dedicated.

The Book lists all those who worked for the LNWR along with their station and grade; listed also are honours and awards gained.

It gives some idea of the great pride of these companies who most surely made a major contribution into putting the "Great" in Great Britain! The number of different grades listed is quite fascinating and gives a glimpse of the structure of a great railway company and of the undoubted skills and quality of the railway men of that time. And the men of Carnforth were surely that. The illustration shows the quality of the outer cover.

One illustration gives details of the local men killed: 24 from Lancaster, 8 from Carnforth and one each from Morecambe, Bolton Le Sands, Hest Bank, and Bare Lane stations. Eleven awards were made to local men, including Military Cross (Twice) and nine Military Medals.

There are many other illustrations which include a picture of the War memorial at Euston station, a facsimile of the Roll of Honour showing a total of nearly 32,000 men, 34% of the work force who served in the forces. Another outlines the enormous amount of strategic and local effort the company provided to assist the war effort. A total of 6,584 women were employed to replace the men who had gone off to war. And this lovely piece:

In order to assist the effort for home grown food the Company provided 14,000 allotments alongside the line and issued a small guide giving instructions for planting etc!

An exquisite social document of great interest, particularly locally.

Westfield Memorial Village

The Westfield Memorial Village is a magnificent memorial in every respect. The Village contains its own "Cenotaph", all the cottages are named after famous battles and many of the Cottages have a brass commemorative plate affixed outside of the front door; one cottage is particularly well marked. Many articles have been written about this village, and, to date, five university theses. Some day a definitive book will be produced for there is a wealth of historical and social detail to be recorded.

The idea for "Westfield" first surfaced in a letter from Mr T H Mawson, (to the Morecambe Visitor 21 November 1917), the internationally renowned Town Planner who lived in Hest Bank, He unfolded a scheme and produced plans for a "disabled soldiers industrial village" which he presented to the Lancaster Town Council. The Mayor read out an extract from a letter received from Mr Storey, as a representative of the late Sir Thomas Storey, all of whom were interested in this generous gift "It was agreed that Mr Mawson's scheme as ultimately drafted is adopted, we are willing to give the Westfield Estate as a site for the projected industrial suburb for disabled soldiers of the King's Own Regiment subject to a satisfactory arrangement with certain trustees."

Mr Mawson commented that he had embarked upon planning this scheme with Westfield as the site when he realised he had not contacted the owners! He had approached his old client Mr Herbert Storey with some trepidation but instead of the reproof he expected Mr Storey simply said: "Well show us what you can do with the property".

Mr Mawson explained that Westfield was an ideal site; hostels could be built for single men with communal kitchens. For married men houses would be built to the latest modern standards which would compare with the Port Sunlight and Bournville schemes. He thought a park could be included with bowling greens, tennis courts and bandstands. A site would be included for a Church, although the local area was well served. One aspect crucial to the scheme was the building of an access road. The report ended "General and cordial approval was given to the scheme and the plans. The idea of a new road connecting existing roads was favourably received and the part which was suggested the Corporation should play in carrying out the scheme met with approval".

The fulfilment. Within three weeks of the Armistice on 11th November 1918 the Ashton Hall hosted a large meeting to decide just how Lancaster should commemorate those who served in the 1914-1918 War. Its concluding resolutions were ambitious and fitting:-

"That a Permanent Memorial should be established in Lancaster to those who have fallen in the Great War. That this Memorial takes the form of providing a Settlement for Disabled Service Men on the Westfield Estate. That the object of this settlement be to assure to these men a home and employment on their return to civil life."

Herbert Storey, donated the land, including Westfield House, which had been the home of his father, one of Lancaster's leading industrialists, Sir Thomas Storey. A massive fund-raising campaign was launched and within twelve months the foundation stone for the first building, was laid on 26th November 1919 by Lord Richard Cavendish, Commanding Officer of the 5th Battalion King's Own when it went to France in 1915.

The village was designed by the Scorton born landscape architect, Thomas Mawson. He was fascinated by town planning and, in February 1917, had published 'An Imperial Obligation' advocating village settlements for men disabled in the war.

The Village was opened by Field Marshall Earl Haig, , on 27th November 1924 - and two years later the War Memorial, , in the village was unveiled. The photograph of the Westfield unveiling memorial group, (From the Lancaster Guardian) was taken by Mr Wynpeare Herbert. Sir Archibald Hunter (Colonel of the King's Own Royal Regiment) is unveiling the Memorial assisted by Mr Storey, Alderman Briggs and Colonel G Wilson the new Secretary to the Westfield Council. The Vicar of Lancaster and the Rev E Marriott are the clergy near the memorial group. Designed by Miss Jennifer Delahunt and cast in bronze the statue depicts a soldier assisting another in the field of battle. A bronze plaque affixed to the memorial, bears the inscription: The Westfield Memorial Village. Founded in grateful remembrance of the sacrifice made by the King's Own Lancaster Regiment, The Lancaster Batteries of Artillery and other Lancastrians in the Great War 1914-1918. The Children of Sir Thomas Storey gave the property, the cottages were built by public and individual subscription. The village was designed by Mr Thomas Hayton Mawson.

Following the initial 30 cottages at the village, more were added in 1930 and 1950 and then again more recently in the 1980s. There are now over one hundred "units" which continue to benefit ex service people and the older population, The principal cottage, just outside the War Memorial, is the "Herbert Story Cottage" which carries the badge of the King's Own together with an inscription which reads: The War Memorial Village Lancaster. This Stone was laid by The Right Honourable Lord Richard Cavendish CB CMG 15th November 1919.

The Streets are named: Storey Avenue, Haigh Avenue, Peel Crescent and Porrit Avenue.

There are 64 cottages in the village with sturdy stone nameplates; L81 is an example. The names are a "Battlefield Tour" ; Ypres - The Somme - Gallipoli - Baghdad - St Quentin - Imphal -Arnhem being a random sample. The cul de sac in Porrit Avenue bears the Falkland battles of Mount Harriet and Goose Green.
The Village is well worth a visit to comprehend the nature of the Memorial conceived by Mawson and executed so admirably by The Westfield Village Council. The latter, still in very active existence, exert a firm but gentle control over the fortunes of the Village which is quite beautiful and well maintained. A veritable haven of quiet and still a magnificent memorial to the men who have died in war. Herbert Storey and Mr T Mawson would be very proud and pleased to see what future generations have done to preserve their ideals.

Further photographs of the Cottages and the Memorial Plaques along with the list of cottage names is on the file "Westfield Village" can be seen by clicking the button.


During and after the Second World War Mr Baldwin Bent compiled a Roll of Honour of the Heysham men who went off to war.


The Manor House in Heysham was s a hospital during the Fitrst World War and this set of pictures shows scenes from the hospital.


This pretty and small village nestling in the Lune Valley takes great pride in its War Memorial of red polished granite. The original papers showing the design and costs of erecting the memorial,together with the Collection made to fund it, are shown in this set of facsimiles.


There are sixty five Commonwealth War Grave headstones in this cemetery. The set of photographs show the lovely separate Garden of Remembrance for those who died in the Second World War. Many of from the RAF and perhaps there is a connection here in that the Midland Hotel was an RAF Burns Hospital during the war. However no research has been carried out on this aspect. In the essay section is a story of "A Torrisholme Headstone" which honours an RAF Officer from New Zealand. Take a look at it under the essay section.,


Both the Lancaster Guardian and Morecambe Visitor local newspapers of the time recorded obituaries, often accompanied by photographs, of men and women killed in the two wars. A précis of the reports which were recorded during the research was made. Clicking the button leads you to these "shortened" obituaries in four sections - both wars for each newspaper. The full reports are of course available in the reference section of the Lancaster and Morecambe libraries, and the obituaries shown here give the reference details.

The 60th Anniversary Of VE Day

At Our Lady's Catholic College Lancaster